Corporate manslaughter investigations focus on the cause of death, and blame can be attributed to an organisation if a breach of duty or health and safety legislation has occurred. In this situation, your organisation could be liable for an unlimited fine and extensive, if not irreparable, damage to its reputation. In some cases, a court can force the organisation to publish details of the conviction.
SA Law is on-hand to advise you from the moment an accident occurs and throughout any resulting investigations or legal proceedings. Being subject to this type of investigation can be a worrying time we will advise you as to how best to deal with the issues and keep you informed about the progress of the case. We will accompany you to investigation meetings and represent you at court.
Although investigations focus on the organisation and its practices, individuals such as company directors and senior managers can be prosecuted for manslaughter by gross negligence, and any breach of health and safety legislation. If the investigation begins to focus on the actions of one or more individuals, we can advise and represent them on how to respond to specific charges.
How we help you
- We monitor every step of an investigation to ensure it focuses on the relevant issues while respecting the many sensitivities involved in a workplace accident.
- Most accidents are investigated in the context of health and safety regulations. We understand how corporate manslaughter investigations intersect with regulatory enforcement, and can offer guidance and a review of your organisation’s policies if you are concerned about compliance.
- We can help to minimise any damage to your reputation, which is particularly important if you are a victim of defamation through inaccurate reporting or unfair commentary.
- Naturally, operating compliantly requires a regular review of your employment policies and procedures. We can undertake policy health checks to ensure you comply with all current legislation, including employment and health and safety.
It’s good to bear in mind...
- Charges of corporate manslaughter aren’t restricted to private sector companies. Most UK-based organisations can be prosecuted, including partnerships, government departments, public bodies such as the police, and trade unions and other employers’ associations.
- Your business insurance will more than likely cover the costs of legal representation if you successfully defend any charges made against you. However, bear in mind that insurance may be void if you are prosecuted.
Views & Insights
The law evolves continuously, and one of our missions is to keep you informed about how this could affect you, particularly where it presents new opportunities…
A good, solid, commercial and knowledgeable firm.
A real force to be reckoned with. Highly customer-sensitive & boasts the ability to get inside your business's issues.
Use our handy contact form to send us your enquiry. We’ll direct it to the right legal expert and respond as quickly as possible. It costs nothing to make an enquiry and it is entirely confidential.
See our privacy notice to find out how we use and protect your data.
If you would like to contact a specific member of the SA Law team, you can view all team profiles here.