International Litigation & Arbitration
We help UK and international clients resolve their business and personal disputes, from simple disagreements to complex and high value cross-border claims.
Our expertise in international litigation and arbitration means we can guide you through the local legal process, highlighting any conflicts of law issues, and finding solutions to overcome them.
Recently, we have helped to resolve disputes in Continental Europe, the Middle East, Far East, South Asia and Australasia. This has included arbitration proceedings at the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the Arbitration Institute of Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) and the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC).
We have experience in obtaining freezing injunctions, can assist you with overseas asset tracing, and can advise on global product recalls. We also help to enforce decisions, including arbitration clauses in commercial contracts, and foreign judgments and awards in England and Wales.
If you are facing an international dispute, or have been unable to find a solution to an ongoing disagreement, contact us for a confidential discussion about your situation.
How we help you
- International dispute resolution can be expensive, so our first task is to help you weigh up the costs of taking legal action versus the likelihood of success. We can also suggest methods of alternative dispute resolution that may be appropriate for your situation.
- We alleviate the time-consuming nature of international dispute resolution. We can handle all communication with lawyers for the opposition, undertake any translation requirements, and keep you informed of progress and options.
- You also benefit from our trusted global network of law firms, consultants and experts based in foreign jurisdictions should your case require them. We can engage them on your behalf, and handle all communications throughout their involvement.
It’s good to bear in mind...
- Laws differ from country to country, and what is illegal in one country may be legal in another. Before entering a contract with a foreign organisation, contact us for advice on the potential risks and opportunities of doing business there.
- Using the right law and jurisdiction to resolve your dispute is essential and can help you achieve your preferred outcome. We will explain the different jurisdictions and choices of law which determines which courts and laws can be used and which forum would be most appropriate.
Examples of our work
Our recent experience includes:
- Acting for a global energy company in an arbitration under the SCC involving a Norwegian company and Pakistani shareholders regarding a dispute involving a joint venture involving Pakistan competition law.
- Acting for a New Zealand power company in a large construction related dispute following a project in Auckland, New Zealand involving adjudication and arbitration under New Zealand law.
- Representing a client in a contract dispute involving alleged defective products manufactured in Germany and Italy and distributed globally. The claim involved issues of global product recall.
- Acting for a UK manufacturer involving the infringement of intellectual property rights in the Middle East and Far East.
Views & Insights
The law evolves continuously, and one of our missions is to keep you informed about how this could affect you, particularly where it presents new opportunities…
Use our handy contact form to send us your enquiry. We’ll direct it to the right legal expert and respond as quickly as possible. It costs nothing to make an enquiry and it is entirely confidential.
See our privacy notice to find out how we use and protect your data.
If you would like to contact a specific member of the SA Law team, you can view all team profiles here.