I help organisations, families and individuals to resolve challenges with properties they own or rent.
I advise on all types of property dispute, with a specialism in commercial and residential leases. I resolve challenges relating to lease renewals, extensions, variations, rectifications and terminations. I can also help you with issues around service charges, possession, dilapidations, injunctions, forfeiture, constructive trusts and leasehold enfranchisement.
Another key area of expertise is property development. I work with owners, developers and investors to resolve disputes that affect their projects, such as vacant possession and restrictive covenants. I also work proactively with clients to identify risks that could affect their developments, including undertaking due diligence.
I have also regularly act for housing associations and local authorities, with extensive understanding of the challenges they can face. I advise and represent them on issues such as tenant / leasehold management, possession, disrepair, antisocial behaviour, EPAs and ownership disputes to name a few.
I also represent clients in professional negligence cases relating to property, both bringing claims against property advisers, and defending them.
- Secured a successful performance and damages claim for seven leasehold flat owners against a freehold company. The properties were being damaged by water ingress while the freeholder built additional flats on the roof of the building.
- Settled a forfeiture claim against a well-known supermarket for undertaking unauthorised works and trespassing on retained land. The negotiated deal allowed them to continue trading in exchange for a significant rent increase.
- Recovered just under £1 million of unpaid allowances for a Tenant Management Organisation from the London Borough it managed properties for.
- Defeated a chief executive’s attempt to overthrow a housing association board, including excluding directors from its head office. After securing an interim injunction, the board’s governance was successfully upheld (Odu Dua Housing Association v Lara Oyedele).
- Acted for a pub freeholder on the forfeiture of a commercial lease. After exposing excessive dishonesty by the leaseholder, costs were awarded against both the company and its directors (London & Quadrant Housing Trust v Prestige Properties Ltd  EWCA Civ 130).
- Acted in Trafford Housing Trust Ltd v Louise Rubinstein and others  UKUT, which was a landmark case that determined how to calculate the period of consultation under s20 of the Landlord & Tenant Act.
- Senior Associate, Head of Property Litigation, SA Law
- Senior Associate, Blaser Mills Law
- Senior Solicitor, Devonshires
- Trainee Solicitor & Solicitor, Edwards Duthie Solicitors
- College of Law, PLC
- University of Leicester, Law & Economics
- Qualified in 2005
- Formerly with Blaser Mills, Devonshires and Edwards Duthie
- Experienced trainer and conference speaker, including for Capita, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, and the National Housing Federation